Take Part – Be a Star!
‘North Star: a People’s Picture’ is creating an interactive artwork aiming to bring people together to celebrate a love of science and the great minds who have charted a course through innovation in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths. Take Part and be a Star in South Yorkshire. The final piece will be revealed at the North Star Event in December and available to access online.
- The theme is ‘inspired by science’.
- Your photograph needs to tell us what inspires you about science – think about discoveries, inventions or people who have and could change the world.
- Alongside your photograph, tell us what inspires you about science. There’s a character limit for your photo captions of 120.
- Make sure your photograph is a gif, jpg, jpeg or png.
- Make sure you have read over the terms and conditions. It’s important you let us know if we can share your photograph on our social media channels.
What stories can you share?
- Think about a science hero, invention or idea which revolutionised the world – this could be a medicine, a telescope or an artificial eye. Use your imagination and think outside the box.
- What about sharing an image of a grandparent or friend who has been a role model for you in one of the STEAM subjects.
- If you love to get creative with science, then submit an image of your favourite science experiments, drawing or even an abstract photograph you’ve taken.
- Just make sure your image is something that’s inspired you in one of the STEAM subjects – Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths.
The North Star – Your chance to be a star!
No matter the distance near or far, you are my North Star. I can always count on you to lead me to where you are. Your heart is my home, it’s where I want to stay.
North Star are leading the way to bring communities together from across the region by celebrating a love of science with an interactive galaxy.
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the Universe exist. Be curious.” – Stephen Hawkins
Science is everywhere – from the moment the sun rises, right through to the stars in the night sky. It inspires, helps save lives, challenges us and educates which is why it’s important we celebrate science itself and the brilliant minds behind it whenever we can.
“North Star: a People’s Picture” are doing just that. Working in partnership with some fantastic organisations, the interactive artwork aims to bring people together to celebrate a love of science and the great minds who have charted a course through innovation in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths.
The art project is running ahead of the North Star, a Science Summer School event later this year in Rotherham. The event is part of the Professor Brian Cox’s Science Summer School which was started in partnership with Lord Andrew Mawson.